Supporting the spirit of
brewing in Alaska
2nd Annual Alaskan Homebrew Competition
Thank you for your interest in the 2nd Annual Alaskan Homebrew Competition organized by the Alaskan Brewing Company
To Enter Competition:
- Each entry shall have an Entry Recipe Form (https://www.bjcp.org/docs/
SCP_EntryRecipe.pdf) submitted. Entries that do not have this form will not be judged.
- Each entry shall consist of three (3) 12 ounce or two (2) 22 ounce bottles, except entries in the mead and cider categories which only require two (2) bottles. Competition labels (https://www.bjcp.org/docs/
SCP_BottleID.pdf) must be attached with a rubber band, please NO TAPE OR GLUE.
- An entry fee of five ($5) dollars shall be paid for each entry. Please make checks payable to: Alaskan Brewing Company.
- Entry and shipping deadline is Friday, September 28st, 2018 at 5 pm. Judging date is Friday, October 5th, 2018 starting at 8:00 am. Late entries will not be judged or returned.
- The competition organizers are not responsible for miscategorized entries, mailed entries that are not received by the entry deadline, or entries that arrived damaged.
- The competition committee reserves the right to combine categories based on number of entries. All possible effort will be made to combine similar styles. All brews in combined categories will be judged according to the style they were originally entered in.
- All entries will be judged on an individual basis – judging sheets will be mailed to all entrants and a list of winners will be posted on the Alaskan Homebrew Competition website after the award ceremony.
- The Best of Show judging will be determined by a Best of Show panel based on a second judging of the top winners.
- This competition is AHA/BJCP sanctioned and open to any amateur homebrewer age 21 or older.
- It is the entrant’s responsibility to enter their beer in the proper category, as specified in the 2015 BJCP “Style Guidelines”. No entry will be reclassified.
Special Ingredient Cateogry
We have selected smoked malt as this year’s special ingredient. To receive smoked malt, complete the entry form found at the bottom of the page by July 31st. Shipping will occur August 1st-3rd.
Any questions about the competition regulations, procedures, awards, etc., should be directed to the competition organizer: Bekah Evans at firstname.lastname@example.org.
BJCP 2015 Styles Accepted
- Beer: https://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf
- Mead: https://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Mead.pdf
- Cider: https://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Cider.pdf
Per Entrant Limits
Each entrant is limited to 1 entry per subcategory.
Entry Acceptance Rules
- Each entry will consist of three (3) 12 ounce or two (2) 22 ounce capped bottles that are void of all identifying information, including labels and embossing.
- Bottles with glued-on or taped-on labels will be disqualified.
- Printed caps are acceptable, but any printing must be completely marked out.
- Bottles must be received by the deadline.
- Entry fees for disqualified entries will not be returned — please follow the instructions.
- Please fill out the entry forms completely.
- Entries in some categories/sub-categories need to specify special ingredients and/or classic style information on the entry form and bottle labels. Mead and cider entries also need to specify whether the entry is still/sparkling and dry/semi-sweet/sweet. Failure to note such ingredients may impact the judges’ scoring of your entry.
- Bottles will not be returned to contest entrants.
- Bottle labels must be printed from this website and affixed to each bottle by a rubber band; glue and/or tape are unacceptable.
Drop-Off and Shipping Location
Juneau, Elsewhere in Alaska, and Out of State
Alaskan Brewing Company
5429 Shaune Drive
Juneau, AK 99801
Deadline: September 28, 2018 by 5 pm
8401 Sandlewood Place
Packing and Shipping
- Carefully pack your entries in a sturdy box.
- Line the inside of your carton with a plastic trash bag.
- Partition and pack each bottle with adequate packaging material (no packing peanuts).
- Enclose each of your bottle labels in a small zip-top bag before attaching to their respective bottles. This way it makes it possible for the organizer to identify specifically which entry has broken if there is damage during shipment.
- Every reasonable effort will be made to contact entrants whose bottles have broken to make arrangements for sending replacement bottles.
- If you live in the United States, please note that it is illegal to ship your entries via the United States Postal Service (USPS).
- Be aware that entries mailed internationally are often required by customs to have proper documentation. These entries might be opened and/or returned to the shipper by customs officials at their discretion. It is solely your responsibility to follow all applicable laws and regulations.
The awards ceremony will take place once judging is completed.
Results will be posted to the competition web site after the ceremony concludes.